Expats find Oman best destination to work in GCC

Energy Monday 19/September/2016 23:15 PM
By: Times News Service
Expats find Oman best destination to work in GCC

Muscat: Oman has been ranked as the best destination to work abroad among the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries, according to a survey by Expat Insider.
Oman was ranked 17th globally among working abroad destinations, ranked according to the three sub-categories of Work life Balance (10th), Job Security(20th), Job and Career (32nd). Oman received an overall rank of 22, second only to Bahrain in the GCC.
The overall rankings were decided by rankings in the categories of Quality of Life, Ease of Settling In, the Working Abroad Index and the Family Life Index.
The Quality of Life Index ranked Oman 32, second to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in the region. Oman was ranked among the top 15 globally on the Ease of Settling In Index, which measures friendliness of the local population, ease of finding friends and feeling welcome in the country.
Faisal, a regular visitor to events organised by Internations, said he is in complete agreement with the report.
“I find the survey reflecting my opinions about Oman comprehensively. Oman is evidently one of the best countries in the world to settle in for expats due to the friendly locals and easy way of life,” he noted.
Asif, an Indian expat brought up in Oman recalled an event where locals on a beach in the interior had helped his family get their car out of the sand, during the very first month in the country.
“Our car got stuck in the sand on a beach in Sur and there was nothing we could do about it until a group of locals came.
“They took nearly half an hour to tow our car out of the sand, while we stood there and watched. They also offered dinner at their place. I don’t think we would leave Oman after such a good experience with locals in the very first month. It is a perfect destination for expats to live,” he stated.
The top expat destination was Taiwan, while the worst was Kuwait, according to the survey. Malta and Ecuador followed in the second and third places, respectively. A total of 14,272 expatriates took part in the survey, representing 174 nationalities and living in 191 different countries or overseas territories.