Rollercoaster Spain
The incident took place at a theme park in Medina, Saudi Arabia. Picture for illustrative purposes. Image Credit: Bloomberg

Abu Dhabi: A 6-year-old girl was transported to hospital after tragically falling off a roller coaster in a theme park in Medina, local media reported.

On Friday morning, witnesses at the Median shopping mall’s theme park said they heard screams before seeing the “girl hanging backwards outside of the actual carriage,” Okaz reported.

“She obviously got herself out of her restraint somehow,” a witness said. “Two seconds after that, she actually fell out of the carriage to the floor.”

The witness said that’s when everyone in line for the ride began shouting and pleading with the operator to shut down the ride “as he hadn’t noticed what had gone on.”

A second witness added, “We could hear a girl screaming, and I mean screaming.”

The ambulance then arrived to attend to Rana, who was reported as being seriously injured, and took her to a nearby hospital.

“I thought she was just scared of being on the ride, but she was hysterical. They were part of a bigger party of people visiting the park, and they were on the ground just ahead of us,” the witness said.

“I saw the operator apply the emergency stop and my husband pointed to the fallen kid on the ground saying they had fallen out,” the witness said.

Her mother told Okaz she was accompanied by her husband and children for shopping, and the father took the children to the shopping mall’s theme park. Less than 15 minutes later, her husband called her and said that Rana had fallen from the roller coaster.

“For a moment I felt as if death was grabbing me. I was unable to think and breathe for minutes. I imagined my little girl dead in front of me,” the mother said.

She added that she rushed to the park, and found her daughter lying on the ground in a pool of blood, everyone screaming .. we were in a state of shock and panic.”

Her father said that Rana “flew off the roller coaster, fell on the railway and got stuck in the void.”

The mother added she did not know at the moment of the accident if her daughter was injured in her spine or not, before an ambulance arrived and took her to King Fahd Hospital for treatment.

The medical report stated that Rana suffered a collar-bone fracture, two fractures in the left hand, a head wound, a cut in the right ear, and multiple bruises, and bleeding in the head.

Her mother confirmed that the family filed an official report with the police, calling for an official investigation to be opened into the incident.